Saturday, February 21, 2009

Worst Case Scenario? American Survivor Edition

Well, I'm pleased to notify readers that I beat Allahpundit to the Glenn Beck's "American apocalypse" story with my entry yesterday, "Worst Case Scenario? Preparing for Anarchy in America."

Allahpundit's piece, "
Glenn Beck: The End of America is Nigh, Maybe," sounds a bit whacked at first, but check it out:

Even before watching this, if you’d asked me which media star’s most likely to turn survivalist, move to the mountains, and start doing his show from a lead-lined bunker, there’s no doubt what the answer would have been. There’s something “off” about Beck in a way that’s not true of other chat-show hosts, although that’s not necessarily a criticism: O’Reilly and Hannity can be tiresome in more than small doses but this guy I find watchable even at a stretch. Partly it’s the sheer bravado of the performance, partly it’s the challenge of trying to figure out what’s going on in his head to make him the way he is. As big an audience as he has, I’m surprised it’s not bigger. He’s one of a kind.
Videos of yesterday's entire show are at the link.

Some of the commenters
at my post yesterday thought this stuff is out there, but Bloviating Zeppelin puts things in perspective:

You know sir, at first blush it's easy to dismiss those who may be motivated for preparation as merely apocalyptical moonbats requiring a tinfoil refit. However, at my advanced age, I am more inclined to fit into this category than any other. At 60, educated, BA in english and communications studies (hoped for an entire career in radio many years ago) and a recent Masters in emergency services (applicable to my job in law enforcement), I am yet and still of the opinion that we are about to witness a true landslide of biblical proportions.

I've lived 75 miles away from my job since 1993. I live at the 4,000-foot level in the Sierra Nevada mountains where most people know me in town, the Postmaster knows me, the store owner knows me, I can run a tab if I wish (but I don't wish), and I can leave the keys in my car on Main Street all day. I frequently leave my car running when I go for mail at the post office, or to pick up items in the store. Everyone in town knows, essentially, that everyone else is armed. Resultingly, it is predominantly a polite town. I've carried for years, due to my job. I was the recent Rangemaster for my 2,500+ officer department. I have long guns, handguns, a shotgun. I have requisite ammunition.

Given the current course of events
as I've documented here and here, I am of the opinion that protests, marches, organizational resistance and then possible violent insurrection are likely in our future.

I can tell you that, by that time, I shall be retired and likely standing against the government that, as an active officer, I swore to uphold. My guns are mine. I bought them, lawfully. My ammunition is mine, I bought it lawfully. My thoughts and writings are mine, I hold them in my heart. My philosophy is mine, I've developed it over five decades. My religious beliefs are mine, I've seen them upheld in the world. My sense of history is mine, I still have a memory and am not subject to convenient Liberal Historical Alzheimers.

Gird thy loins, Americans. You ain't seen nothin' yet.
Go check out BZ additional thoughts on all of this, at "Fomenting Civil War."

5 comments:

Norm said...

Experience tells me that the sky is not falling. If you want to do something constructive then donate some money and time to the Republican party. Let's make sure that Obama is a one term president. Most of you people were not around in 68-70 when this country was truly in turmoil; or experienced the inflation and recession of the 70's. The sky is not falling. I learned back then that panic is a waste of time. While you are panicing someone else is working hard and making money.

If Obama thinks that he can raise taxes on wealthy (really the middle class) and continue massive spending he is going to be a one term president.

AmPowerBlog said...

I was around, Norm, but I'll tell you, things sure feel different today.

I don't think the sky is falling, actually, and I've said so a number of times, but I'm not putting anything out of reach for the power hungry Dems...

Libby said...

..yeah, it feels different...the president is urging a sense of worry among his constiutuents...that's just wrong, when we elected him on his promises of hope & peace!

LFC said...

So, Norm, the wealthy = the middle class? Very logical.

Anonymous said...

As a retired IO and MS, I can tell you that we are fast approaching 1860 Part 2.

Keep your powder dry.